After watching Black Mirror's Arkangel: The most disappointing Black Mirror episode

Black Mirror에 대한 이미지 검색결과

After watching the most controversial episode in the Black Mirror Season 4, Arkangel, made me think about many things simultaneously. To talk about my overall impression, I didn't like it at all. And I totally agree with the viewers those who think this episode as the worst episode in season 4. To rate this episode ( just like the Metacritic does ), the score is 4 out of 10. So from now on, I want to discuss some points that I disliked...

--------------------------------------Includes Spoiler!-------------------------------------------

First, the storyline was too typical. I know this point is a bit controversial and there are some people that like this kind of story plot, but I was totally cloyed with it. Arkangel's plot followed the typical 'Black Mirror' story. Which starts with the introduction of new technology in the near future, and ends up with nightmarish consequences. I know the director's intention to make the situation severe and let us have a consciousness about the Arkangel technology, but I think it was way too extreme at some points in the story. For instance, the ending part that Sarah attacked his mother with the tablet pc, was way too cruel and was too much. I want to ask the director about the necessity of ending up the story like that. But what is more, the thematic development is too predictable. This was the point that mostly ruined my interest about this episode. The protagonist's deviation was too typical and predictable, and her boyfriend's attitude was also predictable. I think that there was a lot of ways to develop its plot more creative, but they failed it and that's the point disappointed me.

Second, there was too many points to dispute. As the Black Mirror series is based on the parody of our current society, each episode suggest themes that might be controversial ( mostly about the development of the technology. ). But in my point of view, Arkangel had too many themes which make the viewer confused while they watch them. In the very first part of the story, most of the people think it as a story about the technology 'Arkangel'. But as the story develops it is changed into "Sarah's Bildungsroman" as the protagonist Sarah hang out with her boyfriend and make several deviations like drug and sexual intercourse. But in the latter part of the episode, it mostly shows the mother-daughter relationship's problem. So throughout the story, I was a bit confused about the director's intention. It's the cliche that most of the masterpieces have themes to discuss, but the episode 'Arkangel' was way too much. By confusing the viewers, it makes viewers feel irritated. The well-known saying "Too much is as bad as too little." really worked on this story. I think it would be better to concentrate and stick to the one theme which can be a pivotal part of the story.

Lastly, it is too unreal. I know it might sound a bit too minor, but it is true that this fact constantly irritated me when I watched this episode. To elaborate, the Arkangel technology which makes parents can take control of their kids is just done by putting some sort of 'High tech chip' into one's head. And those processes even does not need any professional doctor or surgeon. What is more, this technology can make their kid's view censored automatically, and broadcast the view that their kids see. The most interesting thing is that this whole complicated process is done by just touching a thin-cutting edge tablet PC ( This PC even works about 20 years full without any errors! ). I know I am being kind of too sarcastic, but as the 'Black Mirror' series mostly criticizes the modern society by concentrating on the technological problem, the technology should be realistic. But in this story, it is too unrealistic. I think it would be better if they made more explanation about the technology itself.
arkangel tablet에 대한 이미지 검색결과
20 years old Tablet PC,,,,,
To sum up, this episode had a potential to become a good episode, but they lacked in some aspects. It actually disappointed me and didn't reach my expectation but it's true that this episode is still interesting... I hope that next Black Mirror episode to be more interesting and enjoyable.

Comments

  1. Whoa! You are a truly tough customer! It isn't among my favorites either, but it definitely is better than most 60 minutes one will spend in front of a screen, and at least it gives us something to think about. In writing and any storytelling there's something called "suspension of disbelief" and "verisimilitude". Basically, how much can the story ask of you until your "suspension of belief" collapses. Superman, for example, does an excellent job of making us believe what is essentially impossible. Verisimilitude is what a story needs to do to show us similarity in our own lives in order to hold up our belief. As a parent and user of a smartphone, I could definitely find enough to keep me from focusing too heavily on the corny technology. But I do agree - this episode asks A LOT of the viewer. Good review! Very clear about your feelings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Rug: a Feminist Literature?!

How Can Social Circumstances can Affect Literature: Through Anton Chekhov's Short Stories

James Joyce: A Quantum Writer.